Wednesday, August 1, 2012

1st Day of Kindergarten

I am now the mother of a Kindergartener!  L came running into my room, flung his arms around me, and said, "It's today!" first thing this morning.  He got himself dressed and then headed downstairs for some Frosted Mini Wheats (they, "Keep you full. Keep you focused," you know?).

One Excited Kindergartener!

My father-in-law came over to watch the two little kids and, after a few quick pictures, my husband and I drove him over to the school.

Ready for Kindergarten!


L, with his proud little sister (still in PJs)

One the way!

The School-- 900 Students in K-4th Grade

His Classroom

Classroom

His room has a Superhero theme!

As we walked into the school, and then down the hall-way, L held my hand.  He was kind of skipping and not acting very nervous, but the fact that he held my hand told me he was a little bit apprehensive.  We entered the room, he met his teacher, hung up his backpack in his locker, and then sat down at the table (as instructed) to play with some blocks.  After a few minutes with the blocks, he picked up a pencil and drew a stick-figure with a huge smile on the table paper.  It was at that point that I knew he'd be alright and my husband and I headed to the Cafeteria for the "Boo-Hoo Breakfast."


L, playing with blocks in Kindergarten

Building something

L, and a friend (that used to be on his soccer team)

One of the "boy tables"
Today was only a half-day, so within a couple of hours, it was time for the school day to be over.  After much debate, we decided to let him ride the school bus home.  I was a little nervous about him riding the bus with older kids (up to 4th grade), but he's been watching kids get off the bus right outside our house for years and I knew that's what he really wanted to do.  Add to that, the fact that it makes my life (with 2 other children) 100 times easier, and I felt like it was worth a try.  I told him this morning, "you're going to ride the bus home, but if you don't like it, you do not ever have to ride it again."  So, a few minutes after 11:30 (when school let out) I took E outside to ride her bike as we waited for the bus.  E loved the time outside... and well... I was nervous.

E, waiting for L

E, waiting for the bus

The bus arrived less than 10 minutes after the school day ended and L was one of, at least, 10-15 kids to climb off.  He ran to me, flung his arms around me, and said, "riding the bus was so cool!"


His favorite part of the day: "Riding the bus."  His 2nd Favorite part of the day: "Everything Else!"  His least favorite part: "Nothing!"  And in case you were wondering, his bus driver was older than me, "probably 30 and a half," and she wore earrings.

He has the day off tomorrow, but will return for a 2nd half day on Friday.  If I get the chance, I'll try to finish up the "summer week" posts this weekend... BUT you know, I do have 3 kids so it's hard to find the time!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment